1. When you screw up, skip a work out, eat bad foods, or sleep in, it doesn’t make you a bad person. It makes you human.
Welcome to the club.
There’s like 7 billion of us.
2. You are what you love, not who loves you.
You are not a queen if your throne is made of all the girls you stepped on to look superior.
4. Stop checking up on them!!! They’re not checking up on you!!! (Soz)
5. Stress is self-imposed. It’s not a way of life. Stress is like that nasty wannabe side chick and Change is your main – it’s up to you which you choose. It’s up to you to choose the main chick and fuck off that nasty side dish that knows it’s doing wrong, before it comes a constant problem in your life.
6. You’re not too sensitive and you’re not overreacting. If it hurts you, it hurts you.
7. The expectation that a guy has to pay should not be a thing. The expectation of both parties chipping in UNLESS one insists on paying should be a thing. It took me too long to understand that.
8. Condoms are COOL.
9. If you go home with somebody and they don’t have books, don’t fuck them. – John Waters
Forgive. Forget. Fake it. Chin up. Wear lipstick, make lists, make sure your voicemail isn’t full. Mix protein shakes, send timely thank you notes, sip drinks more slowly, stare at adults’ eyebrows, smile without dimples, develop perfect posture. Be gracious, be kind, eliminate self-pity. Look in the mirror and shift your internal monologue from ‘How do I look?’ to ‘This is my face,’ from ‘What the hell am I doing?’ to ‘This is my life.’ Capitalise your emails, read the news, walk briskly, stay focused, and never, ever let on that you are somewhat lost and sometimes lonely and so completely confused (and would someone please just let me know what it is I’m supposed to do next, where exactly am I supposed to go -). Just keep going. Go, and do not stop.
Jennifer Schaffer, A Checklist for the Age 19.
Leave a Reply